MUSIC EXCHANGE – South Africa’s premier music, film and entertainment programme returns to Cape Town City Hall four years running this time between the 7th and 8th March 2014.
Cape Town’s historic City Hall will host patrons, investors, musicians, students and peers for the fourth annual gathering of music, film and entertainment industry heavyweights.
MUSIC EXCHANGE promises forty-eight hours filled with cutting edge keynote addresses, lectures, collaborative breakout sessions, live events and provides the perfect platform for all participants to network and engage in global industry issues.
World renowned Tim Renner will present the keynote address. Awarded the World Economic Forum Global Leader for Tomorrow recipient Renner’s address promises to offer global insight on the latest economic trends in music markets. As Managing Director of Motor Music Renner has developed global iconic artists like Philip Boa, Tocotronic, Absolute Beginner, as well as Portishead, 2Pac, A*Teens, The Cardigans and German super group Rammstein. Besides selling a total of more than 15 millions albums the latter’s Sehnsucht album remains the most successful German language album to sell more than 500 000 copies. His radio-station, Motor FM, launched in 2004 is the second strongest German rock/alternative/indie/crossover website and the radio-station website.
No stranger to MUSIC EXCHANGE after wooing audiences at last year’s conference is International film composer Dr Trevor Jones and returns this time as a Board member to share even more of his wisdom and knowledge. Jones has composed over 120 projects for film and television. These include Excalibur, The Dark Crystal, Notting Hill, Runaway Train, Angel Heart, The Last of the Mohicans amongst many more Hollywood Blockbuster movies.
What delegates can look forward to at Music Exchange 2014
- Global insights on the latest economic trends in music markets in Europe by Tim Renner who was Awarded the World Economic Forum Global Leader for Tomorrow
- The inclusion of the film industry in the programme as part of our mission which is to build African and global partnerships across creative industries for the collective good of all players.
- A ground breaking addition to this year’s programme is the launch of the new Mechanical Rights Society CAPASSO
- The launch of the remix of Sipho “Hotstix” Mabuse song “Jive Soweto recorded nearly30 Years ago by International Electronic Dance Music (EDM) UK pioneer Charles Webster
The MUSIC EXCHANGE Program is designed to assist artists in fast tracking their professional careers in facilitating engagement that offers a platform to stimulate co-action, exposure and recognition.
Some of our key success stories come from collaboration opportunities that have been initiated through the MUSIC EXCHANGE programme.
- The new SABC Generations theme song, launched in September 2013, was composed by International Film Composer Dr Trevor Jones and featuring Sipho “Hotstix” Mabuse on saxophone.
- Charles Webster, the International EDM music producer, remixed and remade material he heard at MUSIC EXCHANGE.
- 3I publishers identifying space for two more music publications after attending the conference.
- R J Benjamin secured the 2013 keynote speaker to mentor the Idols Top 8.
- Evolver One and 7th Son met industry professionals at MUSIC EXCHANGE who went on to work both band’s product International.
Two days, jam-packed with the most committed and talented people in the entertainment industry today, MUSIC EXCHANGE is passion personified on a multitude of levels.
MUSIC EXCHANGE 2014 participants will include:
- An international record-label managing director.
- An International key Note Speaker named by the World Economic Forum as the Global Leader for Tomorrow.
- A top international electronic dance music executive.
- An international key note speakers who have worked and collaborated with the likes of U2 / Eminem / Shania Twain and Rammstein, David Bowie, Sting, Sinéad O’Connor, Charlotte Church, Britney Spears and Elvis Costello.
- An Internationally awarded Hollywood film composer.
- An international board member of MUSIC EXCHANGE who has been a jury member for BAFTA, the UK Mercury Music Prize and the International Film Festival of Flanders, Ghent and is Chair of Music at the NFTS. He has given lectures and master classes at the South African College of Music, Royal College of Music, The Film Music Conference at the National Film & Television Museum, The National Film Theatre, The British Academy of Film & Television Arts, The Soncinemad International Festival of Film Music, The Arts Council of Spain in Barcelona, The National Film & Television School, The Hay Festival, and the School of Sound Symposium in London.
- An international board member of MUSIC EXCHANGE who is a professor of history and politics at Oxford, the CEO of the Rhodes Trust , Secretary General of the Association of Commonwealth Universities developing with African colleagues the US$8 billion programme, Renewing the African University, Founder of Mandela Rhodes Foundation (MRF) together with Professor Jakes Gerwel.
- Film Studios.
- National and Regional Radio Industry representatives.
- Top producers and songwriters of commercial music.
- Top performing South African and international artists.
- Top South African and international artist managers.
- Licensing and collecting agents.
- Various revenue streams’ hosts and agents.
- Top music advocates and lawyers.
- Top executives involved in digital distribution.
- Physical distribution specialists.
- Publications and media executives.
- Sound engineering academies.
- Concert promoters and festival organisers.
- Live Music venues managers and owners.
- Touring – current acts touring South Africa and globally.
- Recording studio owners and managers.
- Top brand executives.
- International record label executives.
- Top image consultants.
- Top South African retailers.
- Key print and online media specialists.
If you are serious about your creative career come to MUSIC EXCHANGE, diarise 7 and 8 March 2014 at Cape Town City Hall.
Tickets are available through Computicket, Shoprite and Checkers outlets countrywide, online at www.computicket.com, or by calling 0861 915 8000. R 220.00 per day or R 400.00 for two days.
For more information contact: Martin Myers
Mobile: +27 083 448 4475